Error processing SSI file
This settlement is located along the west coast of James Bay. Fort Albany is a Chippewa Treaty 9 Reservation settlement which has a population of 863 according to the 2001 census. In Anishinabe the Chippewa's who lived in what is now the Fort Albany region were called Swamp or Swampy People. In Anishinabe it is Maskego Bemadisijjig. The shorter form of Maskego is more commonly used with Maskegowuk being normal. Long ago the whites commenced to calling the northern most Chippewa's the Cree which is a derogatory name. The Anishinabe word for woman is Kwe. Both the Plains and Woodland Cree are extensions of these northern most Anishinabe people. A strong Ottawa or Odawah presence emerged after the whites invaded. During the fur trade years which were the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, the whites sailed into Hudson Bay to trade with the Indians. At first Chippewa soldiers fought both the English and French and prevented the two allied white nations from invading. During the War of 1812, the English actually successfully invaded southern Manitoba but the Chippewa's subjugated them and ruled them until 1869. Not only is Fort Albany predominantly Odawah so are Attawapiskat, Kashechewan, and Moosonee. Further north, the settlements of Churchill, Fort Severn, Oxford House, Weenusk (Peawanuck), Winisk, and York Factory are also predominantly Odawah settlements. The Odawah were the merchant totem of the Anishinabe Nation. It was their responsibility to control commerce. Many Chippewa soldiers (the Chippewa's were the military and police totem of the Anishinabe Nation) were stationed at these coast settlements. The Chippewa's were much taller than the Odawah. During those times the Anishinabe Nation was under military rule. Fort Albany is about 5 miles to the southwest of Kashechewan. Fort Albany has around 200 housing units. The average household size is about 4.5 persons per housing unit. Below is a link to a picture of the Chippewa Treaty 9 Reservation settlement of Fort Albany.
In 1980, a suspicious event changed the lives of the Fort Severn and Chisasibi Anishinabek. They were forced to relocate. The Chisasibi from an island they claim was named Fort George. The island is actually situated in what appears to be a delta. It does look like an island but only so far as the river which separates it from the mainland. The distance between the island and the mainland is a fifth of a mile or about 1,000 feet. In James Bay are several large islands. And we know the Anishinabe people were infatuated with islands. The largest is Akimiski Island. It's width at it's widest point is 27 miles. It's length at it's greatest length is 61 miles. It covers 3,001 sq. km. or 1,158 sq. mi. And it is a turtle shaped island. Since historical evidence tell of a forced relocation from an island, all of the James Bay communities are involved. If the relocation did not involve any islands, the forced relocation probably involved the Chipewyan or Chippewan, of the interior of the north of Manitoba and the interior of Nunavut. That commenced in either the 1940s or 1950s. The following communities are likely related to the forced relocations which probably commenced in the 1940s and continued up to the 1980s:
Eastmain or Kachimumiskwanuch
New Brunswick House
Though the whites have been up front about the forced relocations which include the forced relocation of the Chipewyan or Chippewan, from the interior of the north of Manitoba and the interior of Nunavut, the forced relocation from an island in James Bay is the one being carefully ignored. And the forced relocation of the York Factory Anishinabek to York Landing is definitely related. That commenced in 1957 or near the same time as the forced relocation of the Chippewan from the interior of the north of Manitoba and interior Nunavut, to the coastal sellements along Hudson Bay. So the actual time the forced relocations from Akimiski Island commenced, was either 1957 or shortly before. Below is a google earth photo of the turtle shaped island of Akimiski.
Photograph of Albany
Photo of Akimiski Island